Tuesday, February 24, 2009

An Encounter With Jinns

An Encounter with Some Rude Jinns

A student of Ustaz Zakaria had this interesting story:

I picked up a book during the weekend at a bookstore called “Akaamul Marjan”– a translation of al-Imam Jalaluddin as-Suyuti (rh) about jinns. I read it until late night, and sure enough, they came when I about to sleep…

I was on my bed, halfway between dream and awake (or probably it was just a coincidental nightmare – I don’t know). Their faceless and dark beings surrounded and suffocated me. I could not move even a finger.

I remembered a hadith in the as-Suyuti’s book, that Rasulullah (saw) advised his sahabah to call out the azan 3 times to drive those devils away. That was what I did. During my first azan, I could already hear them struggling. My second azan, they tried to drown out with some nice music. And my third call of azan totally annihilated all but three of them.

As soon as I recited the after-azan du’a, one of them went along reciting with me, but replacing Rasulullah’s (saw) name with something sounded like “Izzit” (his name I guess!). So instead of we supplicating that Allah raise Rasulullah’s maqam, the jinn unashamedly suggested I supplicate that Allah raise Izzit’s maqam. Tricky, slick devils they are!

I tried to shake loose by reciting the Alif-Laam-Miim but could not finish even one sentence. Then by will of Allah, I remembered this one du’a that had saved me a couple of times before. Right after saying this, they let me go and I woke up:

أَعُوْذُ بِكَلِمَاْتِ اللهِ التَّاْمَّاتِ مِنْ شَرِّ مَاْ خَلَقَ


(A’uuzubi kalimaatillahi taammati min sharrima kholaq)

I ask protection by the perfect words of Allah, from whatever evil He has created.


I suggest you memorize this du’a, it could be handy in ALL sticky situations – not just against jinns. It is one of the verses in Hizbul Bahri of Imam as-Shadzuli (rh), and I think it is a shorter version of “Ruqayyah Jibril” read by Rasulullah to drive away that Shaytan carrying a torch.

I agree Ayatul-Kursi is the popularly recommended weapon, but it is too long for me, and I often got swayed away in panic.

I (Islaminus) say:
In any case, not all jinns are bad. Some of them are Muslims like us. Some even narrated hadith to the scholars. You can learn all about jinns someplace else… like Imam Suyuti’s book.

I’d like to hear your comments on jinns or nightmares. It is okay to comment if you have different explanation and do not believe in supernaturals. Maybe what this brother encountered had some simple psychological explanation.

Wallahu a'lam

No comments:

Post a Comment